The Council of Ministers on Wednesday approved 30.7 million dollars for emergency control of Ebola at the border entry points.
Michael Makuei Lueth, the Minister of Information and Communication, said that the money was agreed upon during extra-ordinary cabinet meeting chaired by President Salva Kiir in Juba.
“We are preparing ourselves so that we control the borders, so we are preparing to check anybody moving in from any direction,” Makuei told journalists.
He said cabinet requested the Minister of Health Yolanda Awel Deng Juach to assure them on the country’s Ebola Virus Disease preparedness and response plans.
Last week government initially approved 500,000 dollars to the ministry of health to help prevent and control Ebola.
The Ministry of Health recently sent three out of five samples collected from Eastern and Central Equatoria states for testing in South Africa, after one person was confirmed dead in the border town of Kajo Keji near the Ugandan border.
South Sudan authorities are moving to heighten Ebola preparedness following outbreak of the Ebola-Sudan strain in neighboring Uganda on September 20th.
“We have no case of Ebola in South Sudan, but what we are doing are precautionary measures , we are preparing ourselves for unforeseen eventualities,” Makuei said.